What is vinyl plank flooring?
Luxury vinyl flooring is a great way to transform your home when an affordable, low maintenance floor covering which looks just like timber flooring is what you need. Vinyl flooring is far more budget-friendly for most Australian households than real wood.
Vinyl planks are ideal for family homes!
High quality vinyl planks are scuff-proof, stain resistant and more forgiving underfoot than solid hardwood or tiled floors.
They consist of wear layers with clear coatings which create a scratch, scuff, fade and stain resistant surface. These wear layers protect the core layers made of PVC, with digitally-enhanced photographic imaging used to create the fashionable timber look.
PVC has a degree of flexibility which helps vinyl plank floating floors to retain their shape in changing climatic conditions. There are also protective backing layers in vinyl plank flooring which helps it to perform well in high traffic areas of the home.
What are the benefits of vinyl plank flooring?
Vinyl plank flooring offers many benefits to Australian households. Vinyl is a popular flooring option for several reasons:
- The realistic finishes created by digital imaging make it look like real timber flooring.
- It is far more affordable to most Australian families than authentic timber floorboards or engineered timber flooring.
- At first glance it is hard to tell vinyl flooring apart from timber, hybrid and laminate flooring.
- It is durable and super resilient to the wear and tear that comes with family living.
- It is an easy-to-lay, easy-to-clean, low-maintenance floor covering which is also resilient to the negative impact changeable climates can have on some types of flooring.
- Vinyl planks have contemporary visual appeal, transforming any home's floors from ho-hum to wow!
- Vinyl plank flooring is an anti-static, hygienic, water resistant and anti-slip surface, so it is perfect for any room in the house.
- You can lay vinyl yourself as a cost-effective DIY project using the easy click-and-lock system above your subfloor.
Is vinyl plank flooring better than laminate?
Tough question, because both are excellent choices for any home. When you compare their properties it seems laminate flooring and vinyl flooring are very similar. Both types of flooring provide:
- a natural timber look for a fraction of the price.
- easy installation with no mess, no fuss.
- a timeless woodgrain look which never dates.
- a hygienic surface ideal for allergy sufferers.
- a scuff and scratch resistant surface which is easy to clean and low maintenance.
- the perfect floor surface for family homes with pets and kids.
Sometimes it simply comes down to personal preference, with things like the sound of the flooring underfoot, the thickness of the planks, the price points, and the designs, colours and surface appearance which lead you towards one product over the other.
Can you put vinyl plank flooring over laminate?
Yes, but of course you would need to take your flooring levels with respect to door heights into account before laying vinyl plank flooring above an existing laminate floor. But generally speaking, as a floating floor you can lay vinyl plank flooring over any clean surface.
How do you install vinyl plank flooring?
You can install vinyl plank flooring yourself if you are a DIY-er, or our expert installers can do the job for you.
Vinyl planks are laid as a floating floor over the subfloor using a click-and-lock-together technique. If you are installing vinyl plank flooring yourself, closely follow the manufacturer's installation guide to ensure a professional-looking finish.
If you have doubts about the DIY option, we can provide a free measure and quote to include installation by our team of professional installers.
What rooms are vinyl planks best suited for?
Most vinyl plank flooring isn't as waterproof as tiles or hybrid floating floors so they may be unsuitable for wet areas of the home such as bathrooms and laundries. But vinyl planks are highly water resistant, so they are a popular choice for laying throughout the rest of the home.
Their stunning visual appeal in Australian hardwood finishes such as Spotted Gum, Blackbutt or natural Oak make them a very popular choice for open plan living areas and hallways while the addition of cosy floor rugs makes them welcome in bedrooms too.
What kinds of vinyl plank flooring can I choose from?
At your local Carpet Court store you can choose from a range of vinyl floor collections.
Offering diverse textured looks, colours and designs, vinyl plank flooring products within the Harmony Living range offer eleven fashionable woodgrain colours to choose. Harmony Living boasts extra wide 228mm planks while a further twelve glorious colours are available in the Harmony Planks collection in 183mm wide boards.
The Laneway vinyl flooring collection provides an amazing array of sixteen woodgrain finishes in a superior 5mm thickness. Check out our remaining vinyl plank flooring collections as there are endless timber look styles to choose from.
Which vinyl plank flooring is best?
Several factors can influence the optimum performance of vinyl plank flooring, the most important being the environment in which it is laid, the maintenance, sub floor preparation and the installation.
Our vinyl plank flooring collections offer a range of plank thicknesses, lengths, widths and styles to suit varying conditions, budgets and personal preferences.
How durable are vinyl planks?
Luxury vinyl plank flooring products are a highly durable option and a popular choice for residential homes. Their features include high levels of scuff, scratch and stain resistance making them suitable for busy family homes with active pets and young children.
Our vinyl plank collections offer fabulous residential wear and tear warranties of up to 25 years, highlighting their durability when cared for, installed and maintained in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.